Portugal is opening into the Atlantic Ocean and therefore a perfect country for unforgettable cruises. Don’t hesitate to get onboard and enjoy some maritime excursions, from the Algarve to the distant Madeira and Azores archipelagoes.
The Algarve is located in the extreme South of the country and a really good spot to go on a cruise thanks to its calm water and nice weather. A huge amount of tourists enjoy the citizens’ cheerfulness and the local fish specialties in various locations: you’ll find plenty of small cities on the coastline where you can stop by, such as Faro, Albufeira, Lagos or Tariva. You’ll also discover some of the most beautiful beaches in the world with your boat rental Portugal in the Algarve, for example the Bordeira beach near Aljezur and the Arrifana beach on the West coast. The Marinha (Lagoa) and Camillo beaches are dug into the cliffs and just an unforgettable experience. You’d rather sunbath in a peaceful atmosphere or enjoy a nice and romantic walk? Then just head to the Cabanas or Armona islands with your rental boat Portugal where golden sandy and relaxing beaches with only few people around await you.
Nine islands 1500 km away from Lisbon and an incredible flora and fauna: that’s the Azores! Renting a boat in Portugal is the best way to enjoy it fully! First stop is São Miguel Island and the city of Ponta Delgada from which you can observe dolphins and sperm whales. The island’s landscape should also be mentioned: Don’t miss the lakes, waterfalls and its volcano with a natural pool inside while exploring and walking around the island. You are more into diving? Terceira and the Angra do Heroismo bay are the perfect spots for you to explore the Lidador shipwreck and a cemetery of anchors. Pico, its lava fields and its fumaroles emerging from the volcanic cone, is not to be missed, as well as Faial’s steep basalt relief covered by green vegetation.
Good to know: the climate can change very quickly in the Azores. Don’t forget to bring some waterproof clothing even if you are travelling in the middle of summer since rain can come up anytime.
No matter when you travel there, you’ll get pleasant temperatures rarely going under 20°C (Mediterranean climate) all year round in this Azores archipelago. These volcanic islands are just a paradise for hikers and are located 660km away from the Moroccan coast. That allows you to enjoy a lot of various landscapes, from black rocks to arid and/or green lands. Breathtaking panoramas guaranteed! Impressive cliffs can be admired from your boat along the seaside; they just seem to be emerging from the Atlantic Ocean.
Good to know: you can easily be surprised by the shifting winds. Please be careful and don’t forget to check the weather before weighing the anchor.
- Funchal : the city was founded in 1421 and is the largest city of Madeira. History is an important part of Funchal as you can see by walking around the city and visiting the Nossa Senhora do Monte church and the Santiago fortress.
- Faro: the main city of the Algarve. Faro is still a very traditional Portuguese city with its historic and pedestrian center surrounded by bulwarks. Faro comes alive at night delighting the party lovers.
- Lisbon: the Portuguese capital lies on the River Tagus and located not far from the Ocean. Lisbon is a cosmopolitan city offering a lot of sightseeing activities, from the Belem Tower to the São Jorge Castle and the Bairro Alto district.
- Horta: the city encompasses the Faial island in the Azores and has a population of 15,000 citizens. Horta is known for its welcoming marina and Monte da Guia, a natural volcanic promontory with a splendid panorama.
- Porto: the second largest city in Portugal is located further inland. You will be pleased to discover the beauty of its architecture with the Palácio da Bolsa, the church of São Francisco and the Serralves museum, to name but just a few examples.
Inland or in the archipelagoes, Portugal is a perfect destination for exotic and relaxing holidays! Rent a boat and explore this wonderful country, Portugal will not disappoint you.
- It is only a few hours away by flight from the United Kingdom so that you can discover the country over a long weekend.
- Pleasant sailing conditions and a sunny weather await you from spring in the Azores and Madeira.
- Don’t forget to take some waterproof clothing because of the changing weather.